The word Chakras refers to the energy centers located inside your body. These form a major part of the energy systems present in your physical and subtle body. The practice of chakra meditation has its origins in the Indian, Tibetan, and Buddhist belief systems. There are a total of 7 energy chakras located inside your body. If any of these 7 energy circles is blocked then it can lead to disease and bad health.
There has been much study on the Chakra system and how these help you reach a stage of self-realization with regular practice. Chakra meditation helps you work on the alignment and balance of these seven centers of energy. Therefore, these chakras play a vital role in controlling your spiritual and physical energy to keep your body free of any diseases.
With that said, let us first understand a bit about these energy centers and what role each of these plays in your body.
Chakra Meditation – The 7 Energy Centers
Known as the root chakra, the Muladhara Chakra is associated with red color and located at the base of your spine. The chakra associates your connection to the physical body, health, and independence. Muladhara chakra is also the source of pure energy.
Referred to as the Navel Chakra, the Svadhishthana is represented by the color orange and associated with the act of giving and receiving. Hence, this chakra is related to your physical expression of love, pleasure, sexuality, and passion.
Manipura is the Solar Plexus chakra in Chakra meditation and located in the upper abdomen. This chakra is represented by the color yellow. It has a strong link to your intellect, self-confidence, and personal power. Therefore, this chakra helps improve your concentration.
This is the Heart Chakra and represented by the color green. It is located in the middle of your chest and the meeting point of physical energy centers and higher spiritual energy centers. Furthermore, the Anahata chakra helps you focus on joy, inner peace, and understanding.
Vishuddha is the Throat chakra represented by the color blue and located in the center of your throat. It controls our power of communication, trust, and the relationships formed with friends, family, and others. Furthermore, this chakra meditation energy center helps you convey values like honesty, trust, and kindness through communication with others.
Brow Chakra known as Third Eye Chakra is located centrally between your eyes. It is represented by the color Indigo and helps you develop intuition, imagination, and make the right decisions in life. Thus, Ajna chakra allows you to access higher dimensions to realize your true self.
The Sahasrara or the Crown Chakra is located on top of your head and represented by the color violet. Hence, it controls your ability to connect with the divine and acquire universal knowledge.
Like every other type of meditation, chakra meditation takes a serious commitment of time and discipline. Furthermore, You have to be consistent with its practice to reap the full benefits.
Step to Practice Chakra Meditation
With that said, it is time to know how you can practice chakra meditation to balance and align your body energy centers and unlock the true potential within.
1) Start by sitting in a comfortable position with your spine completely straight. You have to start focusing on your body starting from your feet and slowly work your way up. While doing this, relax the focused part of your body and let go of all the stress.
2) Focus on the breath. Therefore, do not force this step but let it be deep and steady. It is completely natural for your mind to wander off during this step. Therefore, you need to breathe gently to bring it back and focus on exhalation and inhalation.
3) You should visualize fresh air entering your lungs and passing into the bloodstream. Visualize the air nourishing your every muscle, organs, and cells and removing the toxins from your body with each exhalation.
4) The next step in chakra meditation is visualizing the beating of your heart. You need to focus on how breathing helps sustain each of your body parts and the body as a whole. Become aware of how simple breathing sustains your entire body.
5) You need to imagine life-giving energy entering your body along with the fresh air. Visualize it being yellowish orange color and encompassing your entire body and infusing your aura. Imagine your aura growing stronger and brighter and flowing in sync with this energy.
6) You need to now energize each of the seven energy centers. Start this with the root chakra located in your lower back. Imagine a swirl of energy and also a source of energy coming up from the earth.
7) Next, you need to move to the Sacral Chakra, then solar plexus chakra, heart chakra, throat chakra, head chakra, and the crown chakra at last.
8) You need to visualize all the seven chakras being provided the energy coming from the earth. Also, visualize your chakras and auras becoming clearer and brighter with this energy.
9) Lastly, open your eyes and relax for some time. Pay attention to how energized your body feels and make sure to take out at least 15 to 20 minutes daily for the practice.
Note: Do not fret over spending more time on one chakra and always work your way up from the bottom and not skip. Furthermore, activating a higher level chakra before a lower level chakra can have adverse effects.
The seven energy chakras described play a vital role in providing energy to your physical body. These help your subtle body connect with the higher dimensions of life. Hence, practicing chakra meditation require a commitment of time and effort the results are worth the effort.